Saturday, July 20, 2013

Argentina- week 2


Week 2

Monday, July 15

Today, I spend time  at  “The Center for Legal and Social Studies” in Buenos Aires. During this time, I read many “secret” documents that show the systematic measures that government agencies/groups adopted to “eliminate” the “subversives” in Argentina before and during the last dictatorship. I was shocked to read that agents/police had infiltrated even in schools and universities and that they were authorized to kidnap and torture whoever they wanted. This gave me a glimpse at what it could mean if you were a teacher who spoke out against the government.

Mothers 1977-78
 
Newspaper denouncing the killing of innocents civilians






Tuesday, July 16

Plaza de Mayo-BA-- Marchando con las madres

I went to the  Association of the Madres of Plaza de Mayo to meet with the mothers. This investigation is being partially funded thanks to a grant from the Brookline Education Foundation. One of the original objectives was to spend time with some of the madres and to have an opportunity to bring some questions that my students  from Brookline wanted to ask. Fortunately for me and my students two mothers were eager to talk and gave me an opportunity to record a 40 minutes interview. Here is only a part of the interview. Sorry for the background noise (I was filming and asking the questions by myself)

 http://youtu.be/iQQPSE0pT5U










Wednesday, July 17

I visited two former detention camps around Buenos Aires. Here, as in the first center I visited last week, many innocent people were tortured and eventually killed. After my visit to one of the former centers, I interviewed two people who have dedicated themselves to preserving the memory and stories of the camps. I uploaded a segment of the interview.




No comments:

Post a Comment